Sunday, April 26, 2009

CFW Rocks Live: Evanescence (Before They Were Stars)

Before I begin, let me say that I apologize for not updating the blog sooner and that should hopefully change in the coming weeks.

Those of you who know me off of this blog know how big a fan of this band that I am.

Many of you may know that they hit it big in 2003 with the Paul McCoy featured rap-rock anthem Bring Me to Life.

But what many may not know is how they got to that point.

The band started in the mid 90s as just Amy Lee and Ben Moody when they were young teenagers. They started writing songs together and released their self-titled EP in 1998, which included My Immortal, a song that would be all over top-40 radio 6 years later.

Ben Moody, who wrote most of the song as a tribute to his late grandfather, wrote it at the tender age of 15.

I think a big reason why I liked them so much is because for their ages at the time of their popularity, their writing was so mature...as if they lived a lifetime before they've really lived.

Although I'd only really known Fallen, I'd eventually learned of their prior works which made them all the more attractive to listen to.

Sometime in 2004, there was a poor quality video that surfaced of Evanescence performing a Live cover of The Dolphins Cry. Ever since that time, there'd been no actual video of them performing before the Fallen era.

That was until two weeks ago when a video from 1999 surfaced on Ebay. These videos ranged from $25 - $105 as far as being sold and I was lucky to get a copy for the low end to which I did this...sorry, I had to.

The video is priceless because it shows a very young band of Amy, Ben, and background singer Stephanie Pierce (who later sang on songs such as Lies and Understanding).

I'm going to give you an idea of how some of the songs sounded live back then, how they sound like now and how the song has evolved...first of all thanks to user CloudStar86 for the Vino's videos.

I'll start with Whisper...

Imaginary...

I've said it on other boards, but who knew that the band you see in 1999 would be the band that you see in 2003?

It's living proof that if you like an artist enough and support them enough that they could be the next big thing.

It's a part of what this blog is all about...finding the next big thing and drumming up support for them. 

Even if you may not be into this band, I think it's very cool that you can take a trip back to what they were like as a local artist with less than 100 people probably watching them live as opposed to seeing them in front of thousands. It certainly makes me appreciate video more that's for sure.

No comments: