Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Who makes Steve Guttenberg...A STAR?!?

For those of you who don't know, I'm a major Simpsons buff and the Stonecutters song is one of my favorites on that show.

However, I'm not referring to that Steve Guttenberg, I'm referring to the one that made this article.

In the article, he talks about how the current industry is going to falter in three years and how the filters that separated us from the music industry have disappeared with the growth of the Internet and implied that it's hurt the business.

Which leads me to these questions:

Has the era of Myspace hurt the music business?

Have the multitude of bands to listen to actually negatively impacted the way you listen to music?

Has music become disposable?

Are you willing to pay for music? If not, why not?

Is too much music, too much?

For an audiophile like me, it's really hard to believe, but it sounds like a legitimate argument.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't necessarily agree with the article. I feel the industry is changing and record companies are going the way of the dinosaur but I do not think people do not want to pay for music, they just don't want to pay for what the record label tells you is good music. I haven't listened to the radio in years, I don't like pop so the radio is not geared towards me. Instead I find my music on myspace and reverbnation. I go out to see bands, usually bands that I know but watch the opening bands. I buy their cds or download cards directly from them. This is how I find and discover new music and all of the bands I have become fans of have EPs or CDs that were produced and they are selling it themselves. I am hoping that the downfall of record companies will mean no one to pay radio stations to play the same 10 songs and will force stations to play music they want to play like it used to be, then you will hear new music and be able to discover bands on the radio again!