Friday, August 15, 2008

A band a day...Civil Twilight

It's rare that I'll post about an indie type band as a part of my band a day as most of my favorite acts are considered post-grunge.

But Civil Twilight is an exception to the rule.

Civil Twilight is:
Steven McKellar: Vocals/Piano/Bass
Andrew McKellar: Guitar
Richard Wouters: Drums

I'd only heard about them for the first time last month after insider blogs had mentioned that they had been signed to Wind-up Records, probably my favorite record label (which houses Evanescence, Seether, 12 Stones, Finger Eleven, People in Planes, and others).

One other thing I'd heard about them is that they reside in South Africa...not a first for the label having signed Seether years ago.

So I was curious and decided to listen to the song "Letters to the Sky". They had me at hello. I couldn't believe how powerful and emotive the music was with only three members. There are few times when a song can grab such attention from me on a first listen and I was hooked.

Their music can be described as a mix of Coldplay, Radiohead, The Police, and Muse. Big company, I know...but absolutely true if you listen to their songs. 

They're at their best when they're moody and brooding, but they're not afraid to be upbeat either. Furthermore, their music is epic and intense without being drawn out.

They moved to the States only a few years ago when they recorded their album Human. Songs from the album have earned spots on major television shows such as Without a Trace, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, and House. Not bad, considering they were unsigned at the time.

With a release scheduled for later this year, don't be surprised if you hear much more of them.

In the meantime, here is the video for Letters from the Sky and a performance of Human.

1 comment:

Tracie B said...

They rock even more because they had put their debut album "Human" on their website to download for free back a few months back. I love bands that do stuff like that.